Monday, June 10, 2013

She's Baaack

In 2012 and 2013 I've broken just about every rule of blogging. Consistency? Fresh content? Not gonna happen. That's why my masthead warns that I might periodically drop off the face of the (virtual) earth. While I hate to disappoint any loyal readers I may have, I don't feel too guilty about this. Face it, I am not trying to build The Huffington Post here. I'm just sharing my thoughts in between books, but for the past year the only thoughts going through my head have sounded something like this:
I have a paper due for Missional Anthropology in three days and I still haven't finished reading The Diffusion of Gospel Music in Postmodern Denmark. I'd better get busy.
My group project for Dr. Smith's class is due tomorrow and I can't find the video adapter for my Mac. It's not in my laptop case, it's not in my office, it's not at the church, it's not in the car, it's not in the pantry... I can't find my video adapter and it cost $23.95 and I can't afford another one and the group project is due tomorrow...
Okay, according to iCal, today I am leading a kayak trip from 8am-2pm, working at International Space Camp from 3pm-9pm, and writing the paper for Dr. Russell's class that's due before midnight. Easy day.
Something smells funny. Did the snake poop on his heating pad again?
So you will forgive me (I hope) for not keeping my blog consistent and fresh. I didn't really think this was the sort of stuff people would want to read. (Maybe I'm wrong. If so, let me know and I will start posting copies of my school assignments.)

I did have one week off between spring term and summer term, and during that week I completed a rewrite of the first part of my first novel, which has been in revision off and on since 1997. It was 'way too long, so I decided to emulate one of my heroes, J.R.R. Tolkien, who was obviously a better writer than I am (that's why he had THREE initials and I merely have two), and publish the story as a trilogy. For those unacquainted with the reason The Lord of the Rings was published as a trilogy, it has to do with the paper shortage in England following WWII. As far as I know, there is no paper shortage in the USA at the moment, but thick books are expensive books so shorter books are easier to sell to publishers. You will have to wait for parts two and three, however, because I am still revising them.

I do want to take a moment to thank everyone who has bought one (or more) of my books this year. Thanks to you, I was able to pay my rent last week instead of getting evicted. This is always a good thing, since our nation has more than enough homeless people and I don't want to add to the problem. So keep telling your friends about my books! There are links at the top of the page that will take you directly to the publisher of the paperback versions, and you can follow the link to my Amazon page to buy digital copies. (Save paper, save money.)

2 comments: